GENIE COMPANY - Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Genie Commercial Line (GCL)?
GCL is a comprehensive line of commercial door operators that are reliable and easy to install. The product line was developed from a proven series of commercial operators. GCL is grouped into categories based on duty cycle:
- Light Duty (< 4 cycles/hour)
- Medium Duty (15 cycles/hour, < 50 cycles /day)
- Standard Duty (25 cycles/hour, < 100 cycles/day)
- Heavy Duty (60 cycles/hour, > 100 cycles/day)
What are the models?
- GCL-GCX Counter Door / Counter Fire Door Operator
- GCL-MT Trolley for standard lift sectional doors
- GCL-MJ Jackshaft with Release for sectional and rolling doors
- GCL-MH Hoist for sectional and rolling doors
- GCL-T Trolley for standard lift sectional doors
- GCL-J Jackshaft for sectional and rolling doors
- GCL-H Hoist for sectional and rolling doors
- GCL-GT Trolley for standard lift sectional doors
- GCL-GH Hoist for sectional and rolling doors
What are the common features on all models?
- 16-character LCD backlit display for calibration and diagnostics.
- Independent maximum run timers.
- Non-resetable cycle counter.
- Socket-lock protection for wiring harnesses.
- Delay on reverse.
- Mid Stop (Part Open) Limit
What are the common features on Standard/Heavy Duty models?
- MultiVolt®: Ability for the voltage to be selected on the job site. Units come either single-phase or three-phase and then can be configured for a specific voltage when they are installed.
- EZLimit®: Provides for push to set limits directly from the LCD set-up menus. Move the door to where you want it and hit the button to set that limit.
- DC Disc Brake with Progressive Braking: Adjustable braking rate set via the LCD allows for the door to come to a smooth stop.
- Advanced Radio: Set up is done via the LCD display. Learn transmitters, get unique ID# assigned to each, and have the ability to delete individual transmitter ID's by using the display. Once a transmitter is learned, every time it activates the door the ID # will be displayed and logged.
What are the advantages of on-board 16-character LCD backlit display for calibration and diagnostics?
The LCD display allows easy set up and diagnostics. It includes a calibrate/run mode, scroll up/down, set/clear and open/close/stop controls all on-board, simple to understand and use. These state-of-the-art electronics give you a significant advantage in installation/diagnostic times.
What horsepower and voltages are available?
- Medium Duty: 1/2 HP 115V AC and 230V AC 1 Phase.
- Standard Duty: 1/2, 3/4 and 1 HP. Our exclusive Multi-Volt® features allows for a single-phase unit to cover the following voltages: 115/208/230 and a three-phase unit to cover the following voltages: 208/230/460. A third unit is available to cover 575V AC three-phase.
- Heavy Duty: 1/2, 3/4, 1 and 3 HP. Our exclusive Multi-Volt® features allows for a single-phase unit to cover the following voltages: 115/208/230 and a three-phase unit to cover the following voltages: 208/230/460. A third unit is available to cover 575V AC three-phase.
- 50Hz models available on select standard and heavy duty units.
Is the Genie Commercial Line UL-Listed?
Yes. The Genie Commercial Line of operators are UL325-2010 listed for Commercial applications. This requires the use of a UL-approved (for Genie Commercial) monitored entrapment device to allow the operator close mode to be selected for momentary contact if desired. (N4 & N4X environmentally modified operators and TENV & TEFC motor modified operators are not UL-Listed)
What is the warranty for the Genie Commercial Line?
All Genie Commercial Line operators have a 2-year or 20,000-cycle limited warranty.
Options and Accessories Questions
What "optional boards" are available for the Genie Commercial Line?
There are two optional boards available.
- The "timer close" optional board connects to the main board via a plug and play connector. In order to set the main delay time just enter the calibration mode from the keypad and digitally set the exact amount of time desired.(not available on the GCX™ Fire Door Version).
- The "auxiliary output" board also connects to the main board via a plug and play connector. This board provides dry relay contact outputs at the limits and a five-minute lamp contact.
What are the UL-approved monitored entrapment devices?
Only the following Genie® devices are UL-approved for use to meet this requirement:
- Safe-T-Beam® Photoeye Kit with adjustable bracket (P/N: 38176R.S)1
- Impact-protected Commercial Photoeye Kit (P/N: OPAKPE.S)
- NEMA 4 Photoeyes (P/N: OPAKPEN4GX.S)
- MillerEdge ME/MT/CPT (DC or T3) 2-wire edge sensor. Must be used with TCM (P/N: OPABTCX.S) or Interface Module (P/N: OPAKMEIGX.S).
Are there any models available for wet or damp environments?
Yes. The standard and heavy-duty models are available in a NEMA 4 and NEMA 4X configuration.
Can you use an external, 3-wire radio control?
Yes, all units are shipped with a 3-wire pigtail that plugs onto the circuit board during installation to allow any 24-volt 3-wire receiver to be re-used.
Is the Genie Commercial Line quick and easy to install?
Yes. The Genie Commercial Line series operators come out of the box ready to hang with factory pre-assembled mounting feet for sectional side-mount installations plus push button ease for setup; this can save time on each installation. Other time savers are:
- Multi-Volt®: allows you to cover a wide variety of voltages with only a few models. Streamlines inventory and reduces problems in the field if incorrect voltage is specified.
- Advanced logic board with 16-character display, quick and easy calibration gets the operator up and running faster. Advanced trouble-shooting capabilities will reduce the time on site to determine the cause of an issue allowing more service calls per installer.
- The advanced Radio Receiver System on the standard and heavy-duty models expands and enhances the capabilities of today's system by allowing up to 50 transmitters that can be tracked through the control board.
- EZ Limit®: patented electro-mechanical limit system on the standard and heavy duty allows you to effortlessly set limits from the control panel.
- DC Disc Brake/Progressive Braking on the standard and heavy-duty models brings the door to a soft stop, resulting in less wear and tear on the door system.
- Tensi-Belt® unique belt system on the medium and standard duty models that never needs adjustment.
Can the installation orientation of the GCL-J/H or GCL-GH operator be modified?
Yes, they can be mounted right side up or upside down, and easily configured using the LCD display for the proper direction.
How many monitored photoeye sensing devices can be installed on a Genie Commercial Operator?
Only one monitored photoeye can be installed at a time; however, a normally-open, non-monitored photoeye can also be installed in conjunction with the monitored photoeye. Please refer to the accessories in the catalog for the monitored and non-monitored photoeyes available.
A monitored photoeye and monitored safety edge can be installed on the same operator. This will require that the monitored edge is wired to the optional timer close board. (P/N: OPABTCGX.s)
Is the Genie Commercial Line difficult to wire and program?
Not at all. Genie Commercial Line has very straight-forward control circuit wiring. This wiring is identical on all models. If you wire one model, you can wire all the models.
Who do I call for Technical Service support?
Please contact the Operator Technical Support Group at 800-843-4084 for technical assistance.